Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Guess Who's Back?!

Please forgive my absence. Besides being incredibly productive, I took the trip of a lifetime to JAPAN!! It was an amazing journey, and I had a wonderful time.

I'm excited to share some observations & reflections from the trip. You'll get to see my video diary where I shared Inspiration Notes in real time, and I'll be blogging about the experience here as well.

Today, I want to share the importance of courtesy and being well-mannered. In Japan, there is tremendous emphasis placed on respect, honor, integrity, and courtesy. I was impressed and excited to observe how the Japanese relate to each other and even to foreigners.



I have returned to the States with a new understanding of what it means to respect another person. After all, bowing to everyone you meet puts things in a very different perspective! I've gained a deeper understanding of what it means to honor the divinity in another and today, I encourage you to look for opportunities to honor the people around you. Common courtesy goes a VERY long way, especially when you're in a new place. Simple things like a smile earned me the good graces of many people.

Decide today to be more patient, more giving, more loving, more respectful. Make a commitment to being your best, not just with those you know personally, but with everyone.

And to get you started, here are a few ideas:
1. SMILE! A smile is the shortest distance between you and another person. Warm your heart and others with a smile.

2. Consider others before you act or speak. In America, we're obsessed with ourselves - how we speak, act, dress, think, etc. Spend some time considering others and how you can improve their lives. By giving away love and goodwill, you create more of it for yourself.

3. Act intentionally. Haphazard busyness from day to day not only drains your energy, it also keeps you on a hamster wheel that doesn't get you anywhere. Slow down in the morning and spend time thinking about what you need to get done that will be truly productive, not just busy.

4. Disagree respectfully. Even when you have to deliver unpleasant news or make a request, you can do so in a respectful way that also honors the other person's needs.

Remember that the only love you keep is the love you give away!

Later.

1 comment: