Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Book Review 2009

The end of the year is upon us and I always use the last 2 months of the year to reflect on the year's accomplishments, push out any last goals, and prepare for victory in the coming year.

So today, I'm reviewing the top 10 books I read in 2009 and sharing with you. Many of you know that I'm a hardcore book person and that I STRONGLY recommend that others read as well. Readers are leaders and much of the wisdom and information we seek from other people is in books! It's rarely necessary that we spend thousands of dollars to get what we need - many of the most important and best things in life are free and in books. If you don't have a library card, get one! And commit to doing more reading in 2010. Decide now that you're going to make learning an important part of your life in 2010 - I guarantee you'll see results.

So here we go...


1. The Law of Success - Napoleon Hill
This book is long...no, I mean like 400+ pages long. It's long and thick and the pages are wide...but it's worth every word! I read this book the way you eat your favorite meal - slowly but deliberately, enjoying the flavor, reflecting on it as you go. This book proved to be transformative for me because I've never read a book that was so thorough in the analysis of success and all that comes with it. Most people who are into personal development and/or wealth creation have read Napoleon's classic, Think & Grow Rich, but few have put in the time and effort to read this success textbook. I found it enlightening and wise, full of lessons that can be applied immediately. I highly recommend it.


2. You, Inc - Harry Beckwith & Christine Clifford Beckwith
I liked this book much more than I thought I would. For some reason, I expected it to be stuffy and tough to push through. Instead, it was funny, insightful, and an easy read. I like how conversational these 2 authors are, even when communicating a more structured topics and ideas. I found it beneficial to me as I continue building my personal brand and also as a leader and entrepreneur.


3. The Slight Edge - Jeff Olson
This book was in close running for the number 2 spot. I found it to be an eye-opening reminder of things we already know subconsciously but may not actively be applying to our lives. I was delighted by the depth of this book and enjoyed exploring how I could apply this to my own life. After doing so, I've been able to create some powerful results for myself and have been happily recommending the book to friends, family, colleagues, and clients.


4. The Science of Getting Rich - Wallace Wattles
I've read this book several times and decided to read it again this year. I enjoy it more and more every time. This book is timeless and offers a great nuts and bolts understanding of the invisible aspects of money - how our attitudes and thoughts about money yield results. I enjoy reading it and often refer back to it for reminders.


5. The Language of Letting Go - Melody Beattie
This book is written for "codependents" but made a great morning read for my earlier in the year. Broken up into vignettes, it is inspiring and compelling - encouraging you to confront yourself in a new way while gently prodding you to be better as a human being. I enjoy this book and often flip through it for nuggets of wisdom.


6. Jesus CEO - Laurie Beth Jones
Jesus CEO should probably be higher on the list than this, but I've read a lot of good books this year and had a tough time placing it. I was excited to read this book every day. It was an easy read in terms of layout but had to be digested slowly because if you actually apply the concepts in the book, you need time to experience them. I found the book inspiring and refreshing - a new take on career-related spirituality. I enjoyed observing Jesus and His works in a new way and learning how I could emulate Him in my leadership and aspirations. Very good book for anyone looking to create a high-powered career or become an exceptional leader.


7. Influence - Robert Cialdini
I stumbled on this book earlier this year and had no idea what a gem it was or that it was so popular in some corporate/sales circles. I was fascinated by the analysis and the honesty of the author. The book is about how certain tactics affect human tendencies and how certain strategies can manipulate people into engaging in certain behaviors. I became hypersensitive to the sales pitches all around me, but admittedly, I also became a better saleswoman...better able to negotiate and better able to persuade. Fortunately, I've used this new "power" for good and have been able to help and empower other people as a result. I highly recommend this book for anyone interested in sales, marketing, public speaking, or entrepreneurship.



8. The Right To Write - Julia Cameron
I enjoyed this book because Julia is such a kind writer. She "gets" what you're dealing with as a writer and creative because she is also a writer and creative. Her tone is empathetic yet encouraging, and she gently helps you pull back the layers that complicate your being as a writer. Writers tend to have this reputation for being tormented, introverted beings, but she gives writers permission to step out of the shadows of those stereotypes and just write. She emphasizes something that I value - fun - and encourages writers not to take themselves and their work so seriously. I love that because that ability is something many writers lack and as a result, they spiral into self-destructive habits and mild depression. I'm happy that I've finally found peace with myself as a writer and I appreciated everything Julia had to offer in this piece. I actively use the suggestions from this book when I feel myself drifting out of balance. I highly recommend it for artists, actors, writers, and creatives.


9. The Answer - John Assaraf and Murray Smith
This book would have been higher on the list, but I tend to value personal development books more than I do business books...not sure why. Anyway, I loved this book...I LOVED this book. It is one of the best written books for entrepreneurs out there. It's sympathetic to what entrepreneurs face yet it's firm and honest. It forces the entrepreneur to take responsibility for his or her results and business. It also does something many other business books don't - it integrates the entrepreneur's personal and professional lives. I love that because I don't truly believe an entrepreneur has a line between personal and professional dealings. We're never really "off" the clock...we tend to have minds that race and we're almost always thinking about our businesses so to pretend that we're no longer on the clock, even at Christmas dinner, is borderline silly to me. I appreciate how honest the authors were about that and I love that this book is broken up into 2 main parts - the first part dealing with the thoughts, emotions, and personal development of the entrepreneur and the second part dealing with the business of the entrepreneur. I found it balanced and inspiring and enjoyed being able to see my business in a new light as a result of their analysis. I very highly recommend this for any entrepreneur.


10. The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership - John C. Maxwell
This is a great book for career people and entrepreneurs alike. I love John's analysis and his understanding of what it takes to become a strong leader obviously comes from an organic place. I enjoyed learning about his own lessons that have come over the years of running several successful companies and not only becoming a leader himself but also developing other leaders. I found this book to be an inspiration and a huge eye-opener to me about how essential leadership would be to my success over the next 5 years. I have actively been working on developing myself as a leader and also developing the leaders in my company and my life. I have a new respect for leadership, as a trait, and have even centered our Inspired Girls International Life & Leadership Camp around it.I'm happy to have discovered this book before I made the grave errors mentioned in it. I recommend this for leaders from all walks of life and those who want to be leaders.

Honorable Mentions
Make A Name For Yourself - Robin Roffer
The Power of Cult Branding - Matthew Ragas & Bolivar Bueno
Winning - Jack Welch
Nice Girls Don't Finish Rich - Lois P. Frankel
Lady In Waiting - Kendall Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment