Thursday, December 17, 2009

Wearing Multiple Hats



So many of you know that I'm a multi-hyphenate...I do lots of different things and wear lots of different hats. I have a love/hate relationship with the titles at times because I tend to believe that people who do too many things can easily become a jack of all trades and master of none. However, I do believe it's totally possible to possess talents in several areas and to be able to integrate those things efficiently to create a career that serves the individual and leads to a sense of fulfillment.

I'm a published author, speaker, filmmaker, entrepreneur, and radio show host. I often giggle at myself when I choose what to share when someone says, "So, what do you do?" because even those the answer is usually "author, filmmaker, entrepreneur", it sometimes changes according to the environment. And maybe that's a good thing.

Several years ago, I struggled with this. I felt that I had to be one or the other...either a Type A or Type B...either a corporate type or artistic type...either a businesswoman or an actress/filmmaker. And the toggle between the two sent me into depression, frustration, and disillusionment. I felt lost...and I never felt completely comfortable in my own skin. I always felt like I should be doing something else...like I was going through the motions wherever I was. One day, I was hit by lightning...and I realized that I didn't have to choose - that I could choose to craft an authentic and ideal career for myself if I would be true to my passions and the things that came easiest to me. And voila! My career was born.

I had developed some great skills prior to that time by virtue of playing hopscotch between entertainment and business. I knew how to close a deal, make a sale, and nail a presentation. I could manage time, organize workspace, and engage in watercooler chat. On the flip side, I could create a character from scratch, write an engaging article, and produce a play. I could write a screenplay, nail an audition, and talk my head off. So, why was I choosing? Who was this imaginary person forcing me to "be" one or the other?

Over time, I realized that nobody was holding me down but me. I think this is true for a lot of people. We feel that we've got to fit neatly into boxes so that other people can properly categorize us and feel comfortable with us. But what if we decided to step into our authentic selves - in all of their messy, unorthodox glory? I have developed my most amazing relationships with other authentic people...people who just let it be and insist on allowing themselves to evolve and grow as human beings should. They refuse to be one dimensional or to sing one note. They live & experience life out loud.

I'm always saying that - "live out loud" - but I say it so often because so many people are living a single side of their duality or multiplicity. They somehow feel that the validity of one aspect of themselves will be diluted if they step into that new phase or role - that they can't possibly be, do, or have more than one thing at a time.

I've excitedly watched as the trend of entrepreneurship, moonlighting, and "side hustles" has risen in 2009. I love watching people flirt with and give in to the elements that comprise them that have been previously suppressed.

In the spirit of lesson mining, I offer this:
~Allow yourself to evolve. The tendency to want to remain the same is natural but unhealthy, in my opinion. The world is always in flux, as are we. We are not to be the same forever.

~Stability is often an excuse for laziness. Nothing leads to mediocrity faster than the tendency for people to want to not rock the boat.

~Never allow anyone to box you in! I decided earlier this year that I was done thinking outside the box - I threw the stupid box away! I don't need a box. My world is infinite and has endless possibilities. I choose this reality and I encourage you to choose the same.

~Jump out of the plane! Live out loud! Decide to express the many colors of your personality and allow yourself to live in a space of childlike wonder with yourself and the opportunities around you. You're put here to achieve multiple things before you pass on so make the most of your time by giving every shade of your being a fair chance.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment